The same way the seasons change, so does my nail polish selection. I have always been into neutrals (and my closet can attest to that) but during the fall I definitely lean more towards mauve and taupe nail polish colours. Perhaps it is the warmth the season brings (and by no means do I mean the weather) but more so with Thanksgiving passing and Christmas around the corner, which I am super excited for. Red nail polishes are a whole other story.. and scream jingle bells but I’ll stick to my Fall ones for the time being.
I have quite a large collection of nail polishes, many that have been collected over the years, that I should probably test out to see if they’re still any good.. But nonetheless, like most things we have our go-tos and I’m here to share with you my Top 5 for Fall.
I’m not one to splurge on nail polishes so my list will consist of all drugstore finds. I find drugstore nail polishes do the trick and end up saving me money instead of buying some higher end ones. Although, I will admit sometimes there are colours you can’t just resist and make justifying a higher price point that much more reasonable. But I very rarely shop for new colours unless my go-tos are running out so not much to worry about there!
These affordable nail polishes will add that extra touch to any outfit you’ll be wearing this season!
- Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in #170 “Espresso”– Let me just add that this colour is far from the brown hues of an espresso you may have been expecting, but it sure is pretty. It’s more on the mauve side but that’s exactly where I like it to be! This polish in particular only needs one coat to provide a highly pigmented glossy finish that screams fall + like most Sally Hansen nail polishes, their applicators are the perfect size for my nails and get the job done in record time.”Espresso” ranks my #1 for good reason. I’m in love.
- Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in #360 “Plum’s The Word” – I’m guilty of wearing this colour year-round. It is probably the only dark shade I find myself going to all 4 seasons of the year. I like when companies have a fun twist on their nail polish names that directly reflect the colour they are. This one is definitely more cream based and has a nice gloss to it.
- L’Oreal Doutzen Collection in #600 “Doutzen’s Nude” – I loooove the lightness of this shade! It’s more pink than any of the other ones I’ve mentioned but it remains my signature go-to neutral/nude for the fall! The formula for this nail colour is it a bit on the thin side, so expect 2-3 coats to get a nice rich shiny colour. The overall result: it leaves your nails looking clean and fresh.
- Cover Girl in #215 “Smokey Taupe” – This is from Cover Girl’s Outlast Stay Brilliant collection. It is exactly what the name describes, a smokey taupe, very fitting when trying to describe what a nail polish colour looks like. This one I would say is more on the light dusty purple side but it is gorgeous! It does take more than one coat for it to have a clean and pigmented finish but once it is all applied it is perfect for any occassion. The only downside: the applicator. It is way too small for my liking which makes it harder to get the smooth, even finish all in one stroke.
- Essie “Matte About You” – Sometimes I’m not all about the shine and gloss that nail polish formulas bring. That’s when I turn to this top coat by Essie to deliver an instant matte finish to my glossy nails. Within seconds this top coat transforms your nails giving them a completely different feel. I personally love the look of matte nails (along with matte lipsticks) for this season, so if you’re into that look as well be sure to pick this up!
There you have it, 5 nail colours to rotate in and out this season!
Do you have a go-to favourite seasonal colour?! I could always use a new colour or two… Let me know in the comments 🙂